IUI 2015 - CFP

Alan Said <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:13:42 +0200

IUI 2015: ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces

Atlanta, GA, USA - March 29-April 1, 2015
http://iui.acm.org/

IUI 2015 is the 20th annual meeting of the intelligent interfaces community
and serves as the principal international forum for reporting outstanding
research and development on intelligent user interfaces.
IUI is where Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) meets the Artificial
Intelligence (AI) community. We're also very interested in contributions
from related fields, such as psychology, behavioral science, cognitive
science, computer graphics, design, the arts, etc.

Why submit to IUI?
At IUI our focus is to improve the interaction between machine intelligence
and human intelligence – other conferences focus on one side or the other,
whereas we address the complex interaction between the two.  Unlike
traditional AI, our focus is not so much to make the computer smart all by
itself, but to make the interaction between computers and people smarter.
Unlike traditional HCI, we are more willing to consider solutions that
involve data mining, knowledge representation, novel interaction paradigms,
and new emerging technologies.
The IUI conference brings together people from academia, industry, and
nonprofits and gives you a chance to present and to see work results in an
intimate, focused, and interactive event. It is large enough to be diverse
and lively (we expect over 200 people), but small enough that you get a
chance to talk to all the attendees, see all the posters, and take in all
the presentations. As an ACM conference, papers appear in the ACM Digital
Library and citation indices. There will also be a journal publication path
for long papers. IUI is a single track conference, so you don't have to
miss anything!

IUI topics of interest including, but not limited to:
* User Input
    - Processing of multi-modal input
    - Natural language and speech processing
    - Gestures, eye gaze, face, emotion recognition

* Generation of System Output
    - Intelligent visualization tools
    - Intelligent generation of user-consumable content
    - Big Data/Text summarization and analytics

* Ubiquitous and Wearable Computing
    - Intelligent interfaces for ubiquitous computing
    - Smart environments and tangible computing
    - Smart interaction and interfaces for wearable computing

* Help and Persuasive Technologies
    - Intelligent assistants for complex tasks
    - Support for collaboration in multiuser environments
    - Persuasive technologies in IUI
    - Education and learning-related technologies

* Personalization
    - User-adaptivity in interactive systems
    - Recommender systems
    - Modeling and prediction of user behavior

* AI Techniques in IUI
     - Interactive Machine Learning
     - Planning and plan recognition
    - Reasoning in interfaces

* Social Computing
    - Affective, social and aesthetic interfaces
    - Social networks and collaboration

* IUI Design
    - Knowledge-based approaches to user interface design and generation
    - Proactive and agent-based paradigms for user interaction
    - Example-and demonstration-based interfaces

* User Studies
    - User studies concerning intelligent interfaces
    - Evaluations of implemented intelligent user interfaces

   SUBMISSION

* Full and Short Papers     (* New Cooperation Model between TiiS and IUI *)

We invite original paper submissions that describe novel user interfaces,
applications, interactive and intelligent technologies, empirical studies,
or design techniques. Accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital
Library. IUI 2015 especially encourages submissions on innovative and
visionary new concepts or directions for interface design. We do not
require evaluations with users, but we do expect papers to include an
appropriate evaluation for their stated contribution. Full papers (10 pages
with unlimited references) should make substantial, novel and relevant
contributions to the field. Short (4 pages with unlimited references)
papers can either contain smaller contributions, novel ground-breaking
ideas, or work in progress. Accepted full papers will be invited for oral
presentation and short papers either as oral or poster presentation.
Authors of accepted IUI 2015 full papers will have an opportunity to submit
extended versions to the ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent
Systems (TiiS, http://tiis.acm.org) for consideration for a special issue
titled "Highlights of IUI 2015". One of the IUI 2015 program chairs will
serve as an associate editor who manages the reviewing for that special
issue, and the reviewing schedule will ensure that it appears in the ACM
Digital Library in early 2016, before IUI 2016. (For information on what
counts as an appropriate "extension" of a conference paper for TiiS, see
http://tiis.acm.org/for-authors.html#types-of-submission)

Abstracts Due: October 13, 2014
Full and Short Papers Due: October 17, 2014

* Posters

Posters provide an opportunity for sharing valuable ideas, eliciting useful
feedback on early- stage work and fostering discussions and collaborations
among colleagues. We invite submissions on all topics of the conference.
All submissions should convey a scientific result or work in progress that
is not yet ready to be published as a full length research paper at a
refereed conference. The page limit for poster papers is 4 pages. Accepted
poster papers will appear in the companion proceedings in the ACM Digital
Library.

Submissions Due: January 16, 2015

* Demonstrations

The demonstrations track complements the overall program of the conference.
Demonstrations show implementations of novel, interesting, and important
intelligent user interface concepts or systems. We invite submissions
relevant to intelligent user interfaces and which address, but are not
limited to, the topics of the conference. All submissions are intended to
convey a scientific result or work in progress and should not be
advertisements for commercial software packages. The page limit for demo
papers is 4 pages. Accepted demo papers will be published in the companion
proceedings in the ACM Digital Library.

Submissions Due: January 16, 2015

* Student Consortium

The IUI 2015 Student Consortium provides an opportunity for Masters and
Doctoral students to present and receive feedback about their research in
an interdisciplinary workshop, under the guidance of a panel of mentors,
selected from senior people in the field. We invite students who feel they
would benefit from this kind of feedback on their research to apply for
this unique opportunity to share their work with students in a similar
situation as well as senior researchers in the field. The strongest
candidates will be those who have a clear topic and research approach, and
have made some progress, but who are not so far along their research that
they can no longer make changes.

Submissions Due: October 31, 2014

* Workshops

Workshops will be held on the first and last day of the conference. We
invite submissions of full-day (6 hours) and half-day (3 hours) workshop
proposals on any of the conference topics.

Workshop Proposals due: September 12, 2014

**** New Cooperation Agreement between the IUI Conference Series and ACM
TiiS ****
The steering committee of the IUI conference series has agreed with the
editors-in-chief of the ACM TiiS on the following forms of collaboration
between the conference and the journal, which will be repeated in
subsequent years:

1. Authors of accepted IUI 2015 full papers IUI 2015 full papers will have
an opportunity to submit extended versions to the ACM Transactions on
Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS, tiis.acm.org) for consideration for
a special issue titled "Highlights of IUI 2015". One of the IUI 2015
program chairs will serve as an associate editor who manages the reviewing
for that special issue, and the reviewing schedule will ensure that it
appears in the ACM Digital Library in early 2016, before IUI 2016. (For
information on what counts as an appropriate "extension" of a conference
paper for TiiS, see http://tiis.acm.org/for-authors.html#types-of-submission
).

2. The authors of any TiiS article that has been accepted during the year
2014 (and that does not represent an extension of a paper presented at an
earlier IUI conference) will have an opportunity to present their work at
IUI 2015 in a presentation slot at least as long as that for an IUI 2015
short paper.

   ORGANIZATION

* General Co-Chairs:
    - Oliver Brdiczka, Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)
    - Polo Chau, Georgia Tech

* Program Co-Chairs:
    - Giuseppe Carenini, University of British Columbia
    - Shimei Pan, IBM Research
    - Per Ola Kristensson, University of St. Andrews

* Treasurer
    - Jalal Mahmud, IBM Research

* Sponsorship Chair:
    - Sumit Basu, Microsoft Research

* Workshop and Tutorial Co-Chairs:
    - Ben Steichen, University of British Columbia
    - Nava Tintarev, University of Aberdeen

* Poster and Demo Co-Chairs:
    - Sven Kratz, FXPAL
    - Eelco Herder, L3S

* Student Consortium Co-Chairs:
    - Wai-Tat Fu, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    - Brent Hecht, University of Minnesota

* Publicity Co-Chairs:
    - Alan Said (social media), TU Delft
    - Ali Jahanian (website), Purdue University

Alan Said
Multimedia Computing Group
Delft University of Technology
e: [log in to unmask]