CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS August 2014, Week 1

Workshop on "Social, Natural, and Peripheral Interactions: Together and Separate" (@AutoUI'2014) DEADLINE AUG. 8

Andreas Riener <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Aug 2014 07:53:16 +0200

[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

We are pleased to announce the following workshop offered in conjunction
with the 5th  International  Conference  on  Automotive  User Interfaces
and Interactive Vehicular Applications  (AutomotiveUI  2014):

| AutomotiveUI 2014 Joint Workshop on:                                 |
| Social, Natural, and Peripheral Interactions: Together and Separate  |
| Seattle, WA, USA; September 17th, 2014                               |
| colocated with AutomotiveUI 2014 (http://www.auto-ui.org/14)         |
| Workshop website: http://www.pervasive.jku.at/AutoUI14WS/            |
| Submission deadline (position papers): August 8, 2014                |

-----------------------------| ORGANIZERS |-----------------------------
Andreas Riener, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
Bastian Pfleging, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Myounghoon Jeon, Michigan Technological University, USA
Ignacio Alvarez, BMW CRM & Connected Drive Beijing, China
Mario Chiesa, Istituto Superiore Mario Boella Torino, Italy
Andreas Loecken, OFFIS Oldenburg, Germany
Heiko Mueller, OFFIS Oldenburg, Germany

------------------| IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE WORKSHOP |------------------
* Submission deadline: August 8th, 2014
* Notification of acceptance: August 13th, 2014
* (Early) registration deadline (conference): August 15th, 2014
* Camera ready version due: August 31st, 2014
* Workshop date: September 17th, 2014

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.

----------| OBJECTIVES: HUMAN INTERACTION IN THE FUTURE CAR |-----------
As a follow-up of the successful workshop series on Natural  Interaction
in the car (AutoNUI, since 2011) and on Social Cars  (since  2012), this
joint workshop will explore the emerging themes of  autonomous  driving,
social driving, and novel user  interaction  approaches,  e.g.,  natural
user interfaces and peripheral interaction.  Our  aim is  to  define the
future landscape for research within and  across  each  of these  areas.
Beyond  the  scope  of  "pure"  (social)  interaction,  we also  want to
identify how new interaction techniques  can  be designed,  implemented,
and evaluated in the vehicle.

We would like to collect different, radical,  innovative,  versatile and
engaging works that challenge or re-imagine  human  interactions  in the
near future automobile space. We seek to challenge existing  thinking by
exploring what is possible both  now  and by  the  time  the  autonomous
vehicle  is  a standard  feature  of our  roads.  Participants   will be
encouraged to suggest alternative concepts  with  either  low  fidelity,
high fidelity or both. Especially  encouraged  will  be  works  that are
experimental and can provide hands-on demonstration.  The  workshop will
be an opportunity to re-shape the conversation of automobile  technology
by introducing the community to a new way of thinking.

---------------------------| WORKSHOP THEMES |--------------------------
Potential  topics to be  discussed at the  workshop include, but are not
limited to:

* Social norm in the automotive domain
* What represents a "social car"?
* Social norm in the automotive domain
* Plausible types of information in in-car social services
* Benefit assessment: why should driver-car units disclose their "social
  status" or "social relationships"?
* Parameters to describe the social  status of a driver or behavior of a
  vehicle
* Modeling  techniques for handling  social  interaction behavior, e.g.,
  traffic superorganism, pheromones, stigmergic behavior
* Co-existence of autonomous and manual-driven cars
* Symbiotic systems and bio-inspired technology
* Incentives to support behavior change
* Gamification of automotive user interfaces
* Driving as a "collaboration" with either passengers or an agent
* Privacy,  safety,  or security  issues  related  to in-vehicle  social
  services (concepts for authentication)
* Cultural differences in in-vehicle social services
* Future of natural  user  interfaces (NUI) and  peripheral  interaction
  (PI) in the car
* Visions of  future natural  user interfaces and peripheral interaction
  in the car
* Concepts for  future  multimodal  interaction in  the car, considering
  driver, co-driver, backseat area, and the outside
* Discussion of new input and output modalities for the car
* NUIs for interconnection to the outside world
* Approaches for transitioning to NUIs and PI in the car
* Frameworks and toolkits for designing NUI's and/or PI
* Models, guidelines, and rules: What are physical, legal, etc. restric-
  tions and challenges for NUI's/PI in the car?
* New concepts for in-vehicle UI's enhancing UX and experience design in
  the car
* "Flexible" automotive  user  interfaces that  support  the  needs  for
  (semi-) automated driving situations

----------------------------| PARTICIPATION |---------------------------
The  workshop  aims  to  bring   together   researchers,   students, and
practitioners   who   are   interested   specifically    in natural user
interfaces,  peripheral  interaction,  or  social   interaction   in the
automotive  context.  In particular,  we  hope   for   participants with
different backgrounds and perspectives, e.g., automotive user  interface
(UI) designers, experience designers and engineers  from  both  academic
and  industrial  institutions.  The  number   of  participants   will be
limited.
Participants  will  be  selected  based  on their  submission  through a
review process.  The  review  process  will  be conducted  by  a program
committee consisting of the organizers as well as  selected  researchers
working  in this  domain.  Registration  for  the   main   conference is
mandatory for all workshop participants, but  there  are  no  additional
costs for attending the workshop beyond the main conference registration
fee.

-----------------------------| SUBMISSIONS |----------------------------
This year, we call for different submission types:
* 4-to 6-page "full papers"
* 1-to 4-page "radical, provocative, innovative" short position papers
* Along with the (short) papers, authors are  invited to submit additio-
  nal material (design sketches, videos, images, posters, etc.)

Please submit your contribution using the ACM SIGCHI extended  abstracts
(EA) format (http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform)  through the
paper submission system  available at the workshop website (direct link:
https://www.pervasive.jku.at/Research/Conferences/AUI2014/submissions).

Submissions need not to be  anonymous.  However,  reviews  will  be done
anonymously using an evaluation form. Each paper will  receive  at least
two reviews. All accepted papers  will  be published  online  before the
beginning of the workshop.

Workshop website: <http://www.pervasive.jku.at/AutoUI14WS>
Contact: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

For more details see the workshop website!