Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  January 2015, Week 3

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS January 2015, Week 3

CFP: Special issue on "Peer-to-Peer Exchange and the Sharing Economy: Analysis, Designs, and Implications" - IxD&A Journal

Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>

Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:25:09 +0100

Special Issue on
"Peer-to-Peer Exchange and the Sharing Economy: Analysis, Designs, and
Implications"

to be published at the
Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A)
(ISSN 1826-9745, eISSN 2283-2998)

Guest Editors:
• John M. Carroll, Pennsylvania State University, USA
• Victoria Bellotti, Palo Alto Research Center, USA

Important dates:
• Abstract: 31 January 2015 (N.B. to be sent only to the guest editors)
• Paper Submission Deadline: 28 February 2015
Other important dates:
• Notification to the authors: 30 March 2015
• Deadline for submission of the final camera-ready version of accepted
papers: 20 April 2015
• Publication of the special issue: mid May 2015

Overview

Peer-to-peer exchange is the direct exchange of goods and services by
citizens, mediated by a brokering entity that is typically embodied as
an information system. It is an emerging paradigm that integrates
economic and social interaction and is considered to be potentially
disruptive to the conventional company-driven economic paradigm,
creating a wide range of possibilities for innovation. It encompasses
diverse services such as ride sharing (blablacar.com,carpooling.com,
lyft.me, side.cr), performing everyday tasks
(taskrabbit.com,airtasker.com), textbook sharing (chegg.com,zookal.com),
accommodation sharing (couchsurfing.org, airbnb.com), car sharing
(citycarshare.org, relayrides.com,getaround.com), sharing parking spaces
(parkatmyhouse.com, divvy.com.au), local food exchanges (farmigo.com),
sharing household items (yerdle.com,openshed.com.au), exchanging home
cooked meals (cookening.com), sharing workspace and expertise
(liquidspace.com,greenspaceshome.com,makermedia.com,wework.com), time
banking (hourworld.org,timebanks.org,timerepublik.com), and municipal
development (conyc.co). Many of these entities make use of otherwise
wasted resources such as parked cars, empty bedrooms, idle time and thus
increase the efficiency and sustainability of economic activity. And
their number and size have mushroomed in just the past few years to the
point where they are now referred to collectively as the “collaborative
economy” (collaborativefund.com, ouishare.net,
shareable.net, peers.org).

This is a new and rapidly developing area. Most peer-to-peer exchange
systems emerged in the past years or so. So we should expect papers that
are primarily about new designs, adoptions, appropriations, development
of practices, and direct impacts. (The main exceptions is time banking.)
Thus, we do not expect highly developed or long-term research projects,
but more exploratory and initial-stage work. We do not see this as a
negative. Rather, the novelty and societal impact of peer-to-peer
exchange will intensify interested in this special issue, and also help
to attract more attention to the special issue from many relevant areas.
This is part of why we want to do the special issue now, and to have it
broadly accessible in IxD&A: We think this is an opportune time to
present this new area and in doing that to attract more research
interest and innovation in general from a spectrum of relevant
disciplinary areas.

This special issue will report on and analyze peer-to-peer initiatives
and their realized and potential consequences for human activities and
experiences. We welcome the widest possible range of perspectives from
designers and implementers to theorists and modelers to community and
collaboration researchers.

---------------------
Topics of Interests
---------------------

• What are experiences and impacts of peer-to-peer adoption,
appropriations, and repurposing?
• How are peer-to-peer exchange services organized in practice into
peer-to-peer ecosystems?
• How can we measure/assess the utilization and impacts of peer-to-peer
exchange?
• What are examples of current and future design innovation in
peer-to-peer exchange?
• How can science and theory guide design of peer-to-peer exchange
services, or provide insights into the interpretation of peer-to-peer
exchange services?
• What are the broader economic and social consequences of the
peer-to-peer exchange paradigm; what are implications for social policies?

The target audience for this special issue is broad. Peer-to-peer
exchange is a relatively new research area, but it is rapidly developing
in both commercial and nonprofit variants. We expect that researchers in
all areas of HCI, collaboration, community informatics, socio-technical
systems, information and interaction design, and technology policy will
be interested in a concentrated contribution in this new area.
Practitioners and users will also be interested as many are only now
encountering peer-to-peer exchange for the first time.

KEYWORDS:
Peer-to-peer exchange, Collaborative economy, Sharing economy, Alternate
currencies, Timebanking.

Submission procedure
The manuscripts should be submitted either in .doc or in .rtf format.

All papers will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers.
Authors are invited to submit a 8-14 pages paper
(including authors' information, abstract, all tables, figures,
references, etc.).
The paper should be written according to the IxD&A authors' guidelines
->http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php

Authors' guidelines
Link to the paper submission page:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/idea2010/login.php (when submitting the
paper please choose Domain Subjects under: "IxD&A special issue:
'Peer-to-Peer Exchange and the Sharing Economy')

More information on the submission procedure and on the characteristics
of the paper format can be found on the website of the IxD&A Journal
where information on the copyright policy and responsibility of authors,
publication ethics and malpractice are published.

For scientific advices and for any query please contact the guest-editors:

• jmcarroll [at] psu [dot] edu
• Victoria [dot] Bellotti [at] parc [dot] com

marking the subject as: 'IxD&A special issue on: Peer-to-Peer Exchange
and the Sharing Economy'

This special issue include a focus section on:

“Innovative Designs with Social, Mobile and Wearable Technologies for
Creative Teaching and Learning”

co-guest edited by:
Ilona Buchem, Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin, Germany
Isa Jahnke, Umeå University, Sweden
Yishay Mor, P.A.U. Education, Spain
Dimitris Apostolou, University of Piraeus, Greece