[CfP] DATA:SEARCH @ SIGIR’2018: International Workshop on Searching Data on the Web

Laura Koesten <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:26:41 +0000

*Call For PapersDATA:SEARCH - International Workshop on Searching Data on
the WebIn conjunction with SIGIR’201812th July 2018 Ann Arbor, Michigan,
USAhttps://datasearch-ws.github.io/2018/
<https://datasearch-ws.github.io/2018/>---IMPORTANT DATES--Workshop papers
due: May 4, 2018Workshop paper notifications: May 25, 2018Camera-ready
deadline for workshop papers: June 8, 2018Workshop Day: July 12, 2018
---DATA:SEARCH’18 Overview---As more and more data becomes available on the
web, searching for it becomes an increasingly important, timely topic. The
web hosts a whole range of new data species, published in structured and
semi-structured formats - from web markup using schema.org
<http://schema.org> and web tables to open government data portals,
knowledge bases such as Wikidata and scientific data repositories. Just
like any other resources on the web, data benefits from network effects -
it becomes more useful, and creates more value, when it is discoverable.
The opportunities to share and establish links between different
perspectives on search and discovery for different kinds of data are
significant and can inform the design of a wide range of information
retrieval technologies, including search engines, recommender systems and
conversational agents. We will seek contributions and encourage
interactions to discuss how principles, techniques and experiences could be
applied across research fields that have so far mostly pursued related data
search questions in isolation. We see a large space for discussion and
future research in the development of federated data discovery and search
technologies, which leverages the most recent advances in information
retrieval, Semantic Web and databases, and is mindful of human factors.The
aim of the workshop is to be a venue to present and exchange ideas and
experiences for discovering and searching all types of structured or
semi-structured datasets and to discuss how concepts and lessons learned
from academic search, entity search, digital libraries, and web search
could be transferred to data search scenarios. This includes looking at the
specifics of data-centric information seeking behavior, understanding
interaction challenges in data search on the web, and analyzing the
cognitive processes involved in the consumption of structured data by
users. At the same time, we aim to discuss architectures and technologies
for data search - including semantics and information retrieval for
structured and semi-structured data (e.g., ranking algorithms and
indexing), in particular in the context of decentralized and distributed
systems such as the web. We are interested in approaches to analyze,
characterize and discover data sources. We want to facilitate a discussion
around data search across formats and domain-specific applications. We
envision the workshop as a forum for researchers and practitioners from
various disciplines to come together and discuss common challenges and
identify synergies for joint initiatives.---TOPICS OF
INTEREST---DATA:SEARCH’18 will seek application-oriented papers, as well as
more theoretical papers, position papers and empirical studies. The
workshop proposes a multidisciplinary discussion on the following themes,
with a focus on search and discovery of RDF, CSV, JSON and other structured
and semi-structured data sources: - Analyzing behavioral traces during data
search- Approaches to personalization and contextualization in dataset
search- Data indexing and profiling approaches- Data summarization- Dataset
representation for retrieval (standards, models, workarounds)-
Decentralized and distributed architectures and algorithms in data search-
Deep linking of datasets- Entity recognition in datasets- Evaluation of
dataset search tools and algorithms- Fusing, cleaning, ranking and re ning
dataset search results- Information seeking behavior for data (interactive
data retrieval)- Learning to rank for data search- Query routing taking
into account relevance, quality and profiles of distributed datasets-
Retrieval models for data search- Scalability and performance of
distributed data queries- Search results presentation for datasets-
Semantic dataset search- Systems and user studies in data search in
vertical domains, including transport, geospatial data, science, weather,
etc.- Usability of data portals and data discovery tools- User modeling for
data search- Visual and speech interfaces to datasets---SUBMISSION
GUIDELINES AND PROCEEDINGS---We are interested in contributions using a
variety of methods. This can include, for example, user studies, lab
experiments, system-based evaluations, but also experiments using
gamification and crowdsourcing. We encourage short papers (4 pages),
position papers (2 pages) as well as demo submissions (1 page plus online
demo) . Submissions of workshop papers must be in English, in PDF format,
and should not exceed the appropriate length requirements in the current
ACM two-column conference format. Submissions must describe work that is
not previously published, not accepted for publication elsewhere, and not
currently under review elsewhere. We will follow a single-blind process
with at least two reviewers per paper. Papers will be evaluated according
to their significance, originality, technical content, style, clarity,
relevance to the workshop, and likelihood of generating discussion.
Workshop proceedings will be published online in the CEUR workshop
proceedings publication service. All papers are to be submitted via
EasyChair at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=datasearch18
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=datasearch18>---PRESENTATIONSParticipants
should be aware that we will not be having formal presentations of work and
instead the format will be in the form of lightning talks followed by
roundtable discussions. ---WORKSHOP ORGANISERS---Paul Groth, Elsevier
LabsLaura Koesten, The Open Data InstitutePhilipp Mayr, GESIS -
Leibniz-Institute for the Social SciencesMaarten de Rijke, University of
AmsterdamElena Simperl, University of Southampton---PROGRAMME COMMITTEE---*to
be announced