Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  July 2018, Week 4

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS July 2018, Week 4

Extended deadline: Special issue on "Inquiring the way we inquire" - IxD&A Journal

Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>

Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jul 2018 13:03:44 +0200

/Apologize for unintended cross-mailing/

IxD&A Privacy Policy
<http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=9&a=1>

Focus Section on
*Inquiring the way we inquire*

to be published at the
/*Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A)*/
(ISSN 1826-9745, eISSN 2283-2998)
**** Since 2012 also in Scopus ****
**** *Since 2015 also* in *Emerging Sources Citation Index* and *Web of
Science* ***
*----------------------------------------------------------------
IxD&A implements the Gold Open Access (OA) road to its contents
with no charge to the authors (submission & paper processing)

Help us in improving the quality of the editorial process and of the
journal, please donate:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=5EUX7CQ3GKSSG

CFP:
http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102&link=call37fs
*Guest Editors:*

/• Ines Di Loreto (University of Technology of Troyes, France
• Elena Parmiggiani (Norwegian University of Science and Technology,
Norway, and University of Oulu, Finland) /
*Important dates:*
• Deadline: *August 27, 2018 (extended)*
• Notification to the authors: October 10, 2018
• Camera ready paper: October 25, 2018
• Publication of the special issue: end of November, 2018

*Overview*
This focus section aims to promote a critical reflection of research
methods to study modern Information and Communication Technologies
(ICT). For decades, several disciplines from the human sciences (e.g.,
philosophy, economics, management sciences, semiotics, sociology,
anthropology, and psychology) have demonstrated the complexity of the
interactions between uses, social activities, and technical
developments. Researchers from these disciplines have brought on the
field the rigor of their intrinsic questioning, their methods, and their
own histories. To grasp the interplay among all elements, reflexivity is
a powerful tool drawn from the social sciences tradition to understand
the relationship between the researcher, the surrounding context, and
the research process. This notion recognizes and highlights that the
researcher is part of the world that she is studying. As such,
reflexivity invites the researcher to explicitly elaborate on the way
different social, political, and theoretical aspects ‘are woven together
in the process of knowledge development, during which empirical material
is constructed, interpreted and written.’ As their methods of inquiry
are today appropriated and accepted by design researchers, however, the
consequences of applying methods that were originally designed to study
specific aspects – for example social aspects – to the study and the
design of technology remain largely unquestioned. It is however
important to reflect on the consequences of our methodological choices
(e.g., what we leave untold, invisible) and their generative potential.
Questioning the construction of the research methods has indeed
political meaning, because of its analytical consequences, such as
allowing researchers to investigate how design can empower (or silence)
specific categories of stakeholders, even non-human ones.
The objective of this Focus Session is to propose a discussion on the
methodological posture of studies of collaborative and interactive
design prototyping. We invite contributions inquiring into “the way we
inquire”, promoting a reflexive practice onto the way we apply our
research methodologies to inform, understand, and/or support the design
of technologies.

*Topics of Interest*
Possible research questions addressed by articles in the focus section
include (but are not limited to):

• What does it mean to promote a reflexive practice?
• What are the ethics and the epistemology of reflexive practices?
• How can we reflexively select and craft a research method to study the
design of systems?
• How do we reflect upon the emerging constraints, needs, and expectations?
• How can we combine qualitative and quantitative methods in a reflexive
fashion?
• How can we leverage the potential of reflexive inquiry to scale up our
inquiring methods to study distributed and/or long-term technologies?

Submission guidelines and procedure
All submissions (abstracts and later final manuscripts) must be original
and may not be under review by another publication.
The manuscripts should be submitted either in .doc or in .rtf format.
All papers will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers.
Authors are invited to submit 8-20 pages paper (including authors'
information, abstract, all tables, figures, references, etc.).
The paper should be written according to the IxD&A authors' guidelines
->http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=101&a=7
<http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php>

Authors' guidelines
Link to the paper submission page:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/idea2010/login.php
(Please upload all submissions using the Submission page.
When submitting the paper, please, choose Domain Subjects under:
"Inquiring the way we inquire")

More information on the submission procedure and on the characteristics
of the paper format can be found on the website of the IxD&A Journal
where information on the copyright policy and responsibility of authors,
publication ethics and malpractice are published.

For scientific advice and queries, please contact any of the
guest-editors below and mark the subject as:
/IxD&A special issue on: Inquiring the way we inquire/

• ines [dot] di_loreto [at] utt [dot] fr
• parmiggi [at] idi [dot] ntnu [dot] no
**** IxD&A in figures ****
*View stats:*
http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=9&a=403
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
***
* Forthcoming issues:*
http://ixdea.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102

• Autumn 2018
includes also a special issue on
Alternance Schemes and Dual Education: Models, Criticalities and
Opportunities'
Guest Editors: Carlo Giovannella, Stefania Manca, Alke Martens

• Winter 2018
'SLERD 2018: The interplay of data, technology, place and people
Guest editors: Antonio Cartelli, Hendrik O. Knoche, Elvira Popescu
with a focus section on:
'Beyond Computers: Wearables, Humans, And Things - WHAT!'
Guest Editors: Gerrit van der Veer, Achim Ebert, Nahum Gershon, Peter
Dannenmann

If you are receiving our emails/newsletters it means that we have been
in touch with you about the activities of IxD&A Journal.
A limited set of the information that you have provided to us (your
name, e-mail address) will be used to inform you via e-mail about IxD&A
Journal activities. The use of your personal information is based on our
“legitimate interest” in providing you with additional information and
direct advertising about IxD&A Journal activities (under Article 6 sec.
1 sent. 1 lit. f, sec. 4 of the GDPR regulations).

If you wish to continue receiving our emails, you do not need to do
anything.

If you do not wish to receive emails from us, please write us an email
having as subject ‘unsubscribe IxD&A mailing list'.
For any questions you may have regarding the above matter, please
contact us.