Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  December 2018, Week 2

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS December 2018, Week 2

[HCIxB] CFP: CHI19 HCI Across Borders and Intersections Symposium

Christian Sturm <[log in to unmask]>

Christian Sturm <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Dec 2018 20:26:01 +0000

***Apologies for cross-posting***

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Workshop at CHI 19:

HCI Across Borders and Intersections (Symposium@CHI19)

www.hcixb.org

IMPORTANT DATES

- January 15th: submissions for authors with request for visa support (please inform organizers if you need a visa support letter)
- February 12th: all submissions
- March 1st: participant notification
- March 31st: camera-ready version
- May 4th: symposium at CHI

SUBMISSION

- 6 pages max in CHI Extended Abstracts format (excluding references)
- One-page curriculum vitae
- Submissions (pdf) at hcixb19.hotcrp.com

ABOUT HCI ACROSS BORDERS (HCIxB)

Counting from the Development Consortium in CHI 2016 in San Jose California, the HCI Across Borders (HCIxB) Symposium during CHI 2019 will be the fourth consecutive event inside the conference, dedicated to learn from those around the world working to apply HCI methods and techniques to help others to move across all kind of boundaries.

Nowadays there are new types of borders and some of them prevent access to technologies with the potential of improving life in many ways. As we have learned those doing research and creating applications to overcome borders are themselves going across them. They often use methods and practices that combine perspectives and adapt to local conditions that are less than optimal or present unique features that are hard to recreate in a laboratory.

People has crossed borders since the very moment they were created. Some social limitations and segregations effectively become borders even if they are not recognized as such. Using their creativity and employing technology in unexpected ways, people move across borders seeking a higher standard of life for them and for their families and friends. How can we help them to achieve that purpose? What is the role of HCI research and practice in helping people move to reach better life conditions? Who is doing that and what can we learn from them?

To find answers we need the help of HCI researchers and practitioners around the world who work with underserved and underrepresented communities. Those living in difficult and stressful conditions: migrants, communities with high rates of violence, corruption, war, poverty, malnutrition, famine, epidemics, may find some relief through the use of technology designed or adapted to their needs. We have to be aware of two things: technology is not primarily created for them and those working to produce technology to help may not know that there is a field called HCI in which to find useful knowledge to apply.

HCI Across Borders provides a unique opportunity to bring together those visions and efforts.

With that aim in mind we invite researchers, practitioners, students, and all involved, from both sides of any border, to submit to HCIxB. The list of topics includes, and is not limited to:

- Application for supporting social mobility
- Provision of health through unusual channels
- Projects related to e-learning, distant education and educational resources
- Access to financial services to underserved population
- Connecting communities separated by geographical, social or cultural borders
- Supporting entrepreneurship in poor and distant areas
- Implementation of communications infrastructure in rural villages
- Technology for serving groups in transit or migrating
- Understanding needs and practices of people with technology restrictions
- Games for relief
- Applications to connect those who want to help with those in need
- How new technology can be used for improving life standards
- Using HCI methods for the benefit of people in need
- [your crossing border story here]

Read on and start preparing your submission to be part of HCIxB.

SCHEDULES

HCIxB will take place on Saturday, May 4th 2019, right at the start of CHI 2019. It will be a one day Symposium with participants from all over the world. Below is a tentative schedule. We plan to tune it up based on communications with prospective participants and on our experience from past iterations.

09.00-09.15: Opening Remarks
09.15-10.45: Short presentations and posters - Session I
10.45-11.00: Break - Networking while drinking coffee or tea
11.00-12.30: Short presentations and posters - Session II
12.30-02.00: Lunch - Networking while enjoying meals
02.00-03.30: Short presentations and posters - Session III
03.30-04.00: Break - Go talk to that person you heard! And have some coffee
04.00-05.00: Split and work in groups - catch ideas floating in the air before they go
05.00-05.30: Closing session - Symposium ends work begins!

SUBMISSIONS

Please prepare and submit a proposal (less than 6 pages excluding references in the CHI Extended Abstracts format) by Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 - soft deadline for those requiring a visa support letter with express decision notification - or before Tuesday, February 12th - hard deadline. We invite early-stage and mid-stage projects where presenters could seek actionable feedback from community members. You will receive a decision by Friday, March 1st, so that you can plan your registration and travels (including visa arrangements) accordingly. Camera-ready versions will be due on Sunday, March 31st. Please note that the accepted submissions will not be indexed in the ACM DL but will be listed in the HCIxB official website.

In summary, the dates are as follow:

Soft deadline: Tuesday, January 15th 2019
* Submit by this date if you need a visa support letter
Hard deadline: Tuesday, February 12th 2019
Notification: 15 days after your submission and no later than Thursday, February 28th.

Here are some questions you may want to consider answering in your submission:

- Who are you? Please include your department, year of study, organization, etc.
- What is the context and motivation that drives your research or project?
- What are your project/intervention/research goals or questions?
- What problems are you addressing? What solutions are you expecting to deliver?
- In what context are you working? What are the cultural or social conditions?
- What is your approach? What methods are you using/do you plan to use?
- What is novel or innovative in your approach? How does it stand apart from similar ones?
- What have you found thus far?
- What is the status of your project? What are the challenges and obstacles you have found?
- What are the expected contributions of your work?

In addition, please include a 1-page curriculum vitae. If you need a visa support letter make sure you let know organizers along with your submission.

For examples of accepted submissions in previous editions see:

2018: http://www.hcixb.org/past-events/chi2018/participants/
2017: http://www.hcixb.org/past-events/2017-2/accepted-papers-authors/
2016: https://hci4dacrossborders.wordpress.com/

All submissions will be reviewed by the organizers. They will be selected in accordance with their potential to contribute to the Symposium and to foster discussion and growth among the participants. Accepted submissions will be available on our website before the conference. Authors of accepted submissions will also be invited to bring posters of their proposals at CHI (although not mandatory). Based on accepted submissions, we will invite seasoned HCI researchers in relevant areas to provide rich feedback to symposium participants. A selection of the accepted submissions will be included in the short presentations sessions program. Time slots will be announced prior to the conference.

Please submit your PDFs at https://hcixb19.hotcrp.com/

BUSARIES

We are working on obtaining funding to pay travel expenses (or at least a portion thereof) for attendees in need, though we should clarify beforehand that this is going to be a challenge this year. Please note that CHI guidelines require that at least one author of each accepted submission to attend and be registered for the symposium.

Be aware there are multiple options for obtaining financial support and it is up to you to apply once you have an accepted submission. Below is a short sample of options:

- SIGCHI Student Travel Grant, https://sigchi.org/conferences/student-travel-grants/student-travel-grant/
- Gary Marsden Student Development Fund, https://sigchi.org/2017/08/gary-marsden-student-development-fund-now-opens-to-all-hci-relevant-conferences-and-sigchi-sponsored-summerwinter-schools/
- Become a Student Volunteer, https://chi2019.acm.org/for-attendees/student-volunteering/

ORGANIZERS

In alphabetical order:

Aditya Vashistha, University of Washington (USA)
Anicia Peters, Namibia University of Science and Technology (Namibia)
Apoorva Bhalla, IIIT Bangalore (India)
Christian Sturm, Hamm-Lippstadt University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
Christine Wanjiru Mburu, University of Cape Town (South Africa)
Cuauhtémoc Rivera Loaiza, University of Michoacan (Mexico)
David Nemer, University of Kentucky (USA)
Elefelious Getachew Belay, University of Milan (Italy)
Kurtis Heimerl, University of Washington (USA)
Laura S. Gaytan-Lugo, University of Colima (Mexico)
Leonel Vinicio Morales Diaz, Universidad Francisco Marroquin (Guatemala)
Lucia Marisol Villacres Falconi, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
Lynn Kirabo, Carnegie Mellon University (USA)
Malay Bhattacharyya, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (India)
Marisol Wong-Villacres, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
Michaelanne Dye, Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
Moinuddin Bhuiyan, Grameenphone Ltd. (Bangladesh)
Naveena Karusala, University of Washington (USA)
Neha Kumar, Georgia Tech (USA)
Nova Ahmed, North South University, Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Rama Adithya Varanasi, Cornell University (USA)
Rita Orji, Dalhousie University (Canada)
Susan Dray, Dray Associates (USA)
Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed, University of Toronto (Canada)
Vikram Kamath Cannanure,  Carnegie Mellon University (USA)

CONTACT

For updates, please check http://www.hcixb.org
Email us your questions at [log in to unmask]