Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  March 1998, Week 1

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS March 1998, Week 1

HCIL 15th Anniversary Symposium & Open House (University of Maryland)

Catherine Plaisant-S <[log in to unmask]>

Catherine Plaisant-S <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:58:44 -0500

<please forward to your colleagues>

15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th - 15th

                 Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
       University of Maryland Institute of Advanced Computer Studies
                    http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/

                15th Anniversary Symposium & Open House

                       Friday, May 29, 1998

                 to register: contact Cecilia Kullman
                        Tel (301) 405-0304
                        Fax (301) 314-9658

Organized with the
  Institute of Advanced Computer Studies
  Department of Computer Science
  College of Library and Information Services
  Department of Psychology
  Institute for Systems Research
  College of Education
  Academic Information Technology Services

MATERIALS RECEIVED                    +++++ SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY ++++++

Registrants for the HCIL 15th Annual Symposium and Open House will receive a...

- copy of the new 400-PAGE FULL-COLOR BOOK of reprints plus commentary,
  Readings in Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think,
  Stuart Card, Jock Mackinlay, & Ben Shneiderman, editors.
  Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., May 1998 ($60 value)

- 3-month license for the FULL PROFESSIONAL VERSION OF SPOTFIRE3.0
  which is among the industry-leading visual data mining tools for PCs

- ONE HOUR VIDEOTAPE of our HCIL 1998 Video Reports

- set of recent TECHNICAL REPORTS and

- SLIDES from the talks
PROGRAM

8:30 SIGN IN: Tyser Auditorium, Van Munching Hall, Room 1212
(Register by May 18th - see registration information below)

9:00 SYMPOSIUM (Morning Lectures)

WELCOME: Ben Shneiderman, Head of HCIL; Joseph JaJa, Director of UMIACS

9:20 INFORMATION VISUALIZATION:  Kent Norman

Exploring NASA's massive, networked earth science data using query
  previews: The end of zero-hit queries
    Catherine Plaisant, Egemen Tanin & Kawin Ngamkajornwiwat

Tight-coupling for rapid data exploration across coordinated windows
    Chris North

Visualizing medical patient records with LifeLines: Strategies for
  abundant and effective information presentation
    Jia Li, Catherine Plaisant & Dan Heller

10:40 Coffee Break

11:00 INFORMATION VISUALIZATION: Ben Bederson

Applying Zooming User Interfaces (ZUIs): Graphical history for web
  browsing
    Ben Bederson & Tammara Combs

Browsing multimedia digital libraries: Storyboards, slideshows, and
  voicegraphs
    Tony Tse, Wei Ding, Laura Slaughter, Anita Komlodi & Doug Oard

Graphical displays for advanced traffic management systems: Control
  rooms for safer highways and smoother trips
    Phil Tarnoff, Catherine Plaisant & Aditya Saraf

------
12:15 LUNCH: South Campus Dining Hall
------

1:30 SYMPOSIUM (Afternoon Lectures)

1:30 LEARNING TOOLS: Allison Druin

Children as our technology design partners: Collaborative drawing
  tools and immersive environments
    Allison Druin & Ken Weinstein

Digital video and multimedia resources for the Baltimore Learning
  Community: Putting powerful tools in classrooms
    Nancy Kellman-Maddocks, Wei Ding & Anne Rose

Simulation Processes in a Learning Environment (SIMPLE): Software
  architecture, advanced user interfaces, and a learning historian
    Anne Rose, Gary Rubloff, Catherine Plaisant, Yatin Sankholkar & George Ziets

------
2:30 DEMONSTRATIONS

IBM Teaching/Learning Theater, Van Munching Hall - Room 2203
    Interface apparency and multimedia learning
    HyperCourseware and interfaces for education on the World-Wide Web

Computer Science/UMIACS, AV Williams Bldg - Room 3174
    Zooming User Interfaces : Pad++ and PadPrints
    KidPad: Collaborative drawing tool for kids
    Tightly-coupled windows - Elastic windows
    Information visualization - Dynamic queries and Spotfire
    Exploring earth science data using query previews
    Visualizing medical patient records with LifeLines
    Simulation Processes in a Learning Environment (SIMPLE)
    Advanced traffic management interfaces
    Combining on-Web subjective and objective usability testing for
      web sites (Customer Insites, Inc.)

Psychology, Zoology-Psychology Bldg - Room 3111
    High-precision wide-range gauge design and evaluation
    Interface apparency to speed user performance in text and graphics
    Information visualization design and evaluation for NASA "lights-out"
      satellite systems

College of Library and Information Services, Hornbake Library - Room 4121
    VoiceGraph speech retrieval interface
    Digital video and multimedia resources for the classroom
    Interfaces for Library of Congress National Digital Library / WebTOC

Space Sciences Lab, Neutral Buoyancy Research Facility - Room 2100C
    Human control station design for space robotics

------------
REGISTRATION
------------

----------------cut here and mail, fax or email------------------------

               HCIL Symposium and Open House 1998
                             REGISTRATION

Mail to:  Cecilia Kullman, UMIACS,
AV Williams Building, University of Maryland,
College Park, MD 20742-3251
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
(301) 405-0304, fax (301) 314-9658

Please enclose a check made payable to The University of Maryland, a
purchase order with the reference UMIACS/HCIL-SOH98 or supply charge
card information.  To qualify for a 10% reduction you must register a
group of 4 or more from the same organization at the same time.

Full fee includes Book, Spotfire, videotape, technical reports, handouts
  and lunch buffet
     ___   $170 Industry

University faculty & staff fee includes Book, Spotfire, videotape,
  technical reports, handouts and lunch buffet
     ___   $110 Faculty/Staff (UMd and other academic institutions)

Free registrations without materials or lunch will be granted to
  full-time undergraduate and graduate students space permitting
     ___   Free Student

Cannot attend, but would like a materials package
     ___   $100 materials package only

Name : _____________________________________________________

Company:____________________________________________________

Address:____________________________________________________

Email: ___________________________  Phone: _________________

Credit card :   _ Visa    _ MasterCard   _ Discover

         Name: ______________________________
         (as it appears on the card)

         Card Number: _______________________

         Expiration date: _____________
         (we recommend mail or fax only for credit card info)

Directions and Parking Info:
  The College Park campus is 1.5 miles south of the Beltway exit
25B. Sign-in and morning lectures are in the Van Munching Hall
(business school) which is located in the southwest side of campus.
Afternoon demos will take place in several buildings accross campus
(expect a good amount of walking to see all the demos).
  Because on May 29, summer school is not yet in session, no permit is
required to park in Lot 1 near Van Munching Hall (LOT1 ONLY).  A free
UMd shuttle also runs every 15 minutes from the College Park Metro
station to the Student Union in the center of campus.

 A map, the list of Technical reports and videos, and more information
will be posted on our website as it become available.

http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/