[asked Tom]

> > ... the absence of AdaPower in a speech made at SigAda concerning
> > "new" Ada websites ...

>  That suggests rather serious Balkanization of the Ada community(ies?)
> Is there a group that reads comp.lang.ada, a group that goes to SigAda,
> and a group that reads Ada Letters, with very little communication
> between them?  Is there any communication medium they all get?

Well, I'm an active (and avid) AdaLetters reader, and a reader of most
of the Ada related mailing lists. I do not read comp.lang.ada anymore;
I'm simply too busy to do so.

Marty Carlisle, the current AdaLetters editor, is an active Team-Ada
participant, as we know, and is quite plugged in to the community.

I don't have the June AdaLetters in fromt of me, so I can't find just
what David was referring to. Specifically which article?

As for the SIGAda talk, specifically which talk? Have you contacted the
speaker to bring him or her up to date?

Nobody is going to vet every single word of a SIGAda talk or an
AdaLetters article. Stuff falls through the cracks, especially in
this Internet world in which anyone can publish. It is just
infeasible to prevent someone from being imperfectly informed.

Folks, you can call it "balkanized" if you wish, but this community
lives in a free society, and it is simply not possible to control
what people read, and what resources (especially online ones) people
create and provide to us.

AdaPower is a great website, but I don't remember David's asking
anyone's permission to set up yet another site instead of building
it as a section of (say) SIGAda, which already has a large site at
ACM and would, I'm sure, have hosted this one. I think the same goes
for AdaIC/ARA.

SIGAda and ARA are the two biggest Ada organizations (at least in the
US), but obviously cannot (and probably should not) prevent others
from setting up their own websites.

Anyway, let's all try to publicize the resources we have as widely
as we can. That's the most that can be expected. Nobody is in charge
of this community; I don't think we'd want it any other way. (In a
sense, the government used to think it was "in charge" of Ada - did
that help?)

Mike Feldman