At 03:03 PM 2/13/01 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau x4923 wrote:

> >1. Not break any security features in validated JVMs
>
> Understood.  Not at all clear.  That's why "eventually" it would need to
> all be written in Ada.

I'm not talking about the security features designed into Ada such as type
safety, modularity, and readability.  I'm talking about the security
features the Java guys thought of ahead of time (or discovered the hard
way and fixed) such as no access to local files, no tricking the JVM into
replacing any of its own classes--oops, I forgot that one's not fixed
yet.  :-)

AH.  Now I get the point.  Sorry to be so slow on the uptake.  :)

> >2. Not lose the ability to have it validated as a "compliant" JVM.
>
> Can't answer this one.  My suspicion is "politics" will be the biggest
> obstacle here.

Probably.  But does the spec say, "here is the list of features and any
so-called JVM capable of doing more is non-compliant" ?

Well, in spite of "open source", I believe Sun is still in control of what the "ubiquitous" JVM or JVM-like processes will be.  (Several have raised this point in different ways throughout this discussion.)  Unless there has been a big change in that organization, Sun has consistently shown their colors to be "anti-Ada", etc.

I remember hearing that HP was producing a JVM but not calling it a JVM
because allegedly certification would prevent certain features they
thought were necessary for their target customers.

The bad news here is that, although they were decidedly in the "Ada camp" early on, about 10 years ago HP made a significant corporate shift into the C++ camp.  Notice that, prior to that time, HP Printers were without question the highest quality printers available for desktops.  In recent years their quality has decidedly gone down hill, and primarily due to sucky software.  I wonder if there is a connection?  :)
The REALLY sad news is that, based on their past success, HP had built up a rather light weight support organization.  Now that their stuff sucks big time, it is virtually impossible to get ANY support out of them.

But then . . .  this is another story.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X, developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more information, check out www.topgraphx.com.