I have changed the list settings so that all MIME attachments will be blocked,
rejecting the messages that included them. I hope that this does not cause undue
side-effects - for example, I'm not sure what will happen to messages with
vcards or similar attachments.

As far as I can tell, LISTSERV cannot block HTML if the tags are inline with the
message. The LISTSERV manual explicitly states that it cannot block HTML from
Netscape users who choose the "Send in HTML only" format.

Hopefully this will cut down on the viruses. As for the spam, we've had
discussions on closing the list to all but subscribers more than once in the
past, and decided to keep it open each time. Believe it or not, there is spam
filtering enabled, and not all of the spam submitted to the list makes it
through. I attribute the spam we receive on this list to the fact that ACM is
likely a visible target and that this list has been around for quite a while
(since 1994).

We could rehost the list, as was so generously offered. However, let's give the
new list settings a chance and see if the immediate threat is mitigated before
we take such action.

Please, my intent is to inform you of the changes to the list settings, not to
start an off-topic discussion on list administration. Please send any replies on
such topics directly to me, not to the list.

Thanks,
Mike