At 10:37 AM 7/31/02 -0700, Dale Jr, William wrote:

. . .

>The approach here is to have more S/W Engineering classes and make better
>S/W Engineers?  I think this is not effective.

. . .

>Any effort to improving software has got to be taught to ALL engineers - not
>just the few S/W Engineers.  It is the Aerospace PhD who gets to chose
>hardware and software policies, tools, and even procedures and
>architectures.  S/W engineers do not get hired to do these things - they get
>hired to write code.
>
>That is the real world.

This is very close to, but not precisely, a key part of the rationale
behind my claim solving the problem in the C.S. curriculum won't work.

Thanks, Bill.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X, developers of high
quality software components, using Ada, including OrbRiver the
multi-language ORB.  A single distributed programming environment for all
developers.  Supports Ada95, Java, and C++.

For more information, check out www.topgraphx.com.

Semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver