At 11:16 AM 5/31/2006, Matt Belge wrote:
>We need to respect that our users will have different goals. And that they
>have the capacity to learn.

With all due respect, this is a real motherhood-and-apple-pie statement. Of
course, different users need different designs in different contexts.

The trick of design is to understand what the *right* design is in the
*current* context. So, what might solve Hal's problem could be very
different than any other problem.

To say, generically, "Well, some people might need names for some reason,
so we better include them." isn't really dealing with the design specifics.
Maybe they need names, maybe it's the wrong thing to do.

Revealing the internal structure of a space (whether physical or virtual)
may be the right design decision. Or it could be absolutely the wrong way
to solve the problems users are experiencing.

I'm not really a big fan of solving problems with generalities.

Just my opinion,

Jared

510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
978 327-5561   [log in to unmask]  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks