Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about proposing a panel at SIGCSE related to something I posted here in March:  How can CS1 courses better convey the fundamental ideas of CS (e.g., abstraction, algorithm efficiency and design, representing information, etc.) and connections to other disciplines in meaningful, compelling, and sustained ways (without sacrificing programming depth)?  As I and a few others articulated, I think this is something that liberal arts colleges do especially well, and a panel might be a good opportunity for a few from this group to share examples with a wider audience.

The CS2013 curriculum document speaks to these issues in its "Big Tent" theme and elsewhere:

"Whether or not programming is the primary focus of their first course, it is important that students do not perceive computer science as only learning the specifics of particular programming languages. Care must be taken to emphasize the more general concepts in computing within the context of learning how to program."  (p. 41)

"Practically speaking, an introductory course sequence should not be construed as simply containing only the topics from the Software Development Fundamentals (SDF) Knowledge Area. Rather we encourage implementers of the CS2013 guidelines to think about the design space dimensions outlined above to draw on materials from multiple KAs for inclusion in an introductory course sequence."  (p. 45)

As I said, I know that some programs already do a great job with this.  Harvey Mudd and Princeton come immediately to mind.  I also think we do a decent job at Denison (which I translated into my recent textbook).  And I'm sure there are many other examples.  But my sense is that these are exceptions rather than the rule.  In recent literature, CS1 and "introductory programming" are often still treated as synonymous.  For example, all of the fundamental CS1 concepts enumerated in Tew and Guzdial (2010), based on an objective analysis of textbooks, are programming concepts.  Even at SIGCSE 2016, I was surprised by how often I still sensed this narrow view of CS1.  (On the other hand, a growing number of "CS0" courses, especially those based on AP CS Principles, do a great job incorporating more fundamental ideas.)

Anyway, if this panel idea resonates with anyone else out there, let me know!

Jessen
--
Jessen T. Havill, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science

Amanda Holland-Minkley wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Hi all – I’m excited about this conversation that we’re starting here!

I entirely agree that part of what makes something a liberal arts institution is the effect it has on one’s approach to teaching a topic, and the focus on interdisciplinary connections does seem important to me. In the most idealistic view, if I am teaching in a liberal arts setting, as an instructor I should walk into the classroom with a mindset that I am not just teaching my topic but I am also helping illuminate to my students how what they are learning relates to the rest of their education. So it isn’t just that the students will be expected to take courses from a breadth of disciplines, but I should also teach my courses in a way that help students discover the value of their broad educational experience.

This connects to another angle on what it means to be a liberal arts institution that I’ve been thinking about, which is the relationship that a program has to the institution as a whole. A few people have mentioned that majors will be of limited size to allow students to take a range of course, pursue a double major, etc. I think at many liberal arts institutions similar obligations are placed on programs to think about how they fit into the education of the student body as a whole, not just how they educate their majors/minors.

I suspect this can take a number of forms. At my own institution, when we review changes to major requirements for a program, we ask departments to confirm that they’ll continue to be able to contribute to the other educational obligations they have – to our first year seminar, to offering sufficient general education seats, etc. For smaller departments, this often means that, practically speaking, the curriculum has to be structured so that introductory offerings work for potential majors but also support the institution’s general education curriculum in order to make efficient use of faculty resources. In my particular case, our departmental mission explicitly states that we will contribute to the interdisciplinary uses of computing across the W&J curriculum, so we have to find ways to offer courses or take part in projects that meet those goals. Overall, this means that program curricula have to be balanced with the demands of our college-wide curriculum and made to work together. We can’t simply say that the ACM says our curriculum has to be a certain way; we have to take those recommendations and find a way to make them work with the various obligations the overarching liberal arts curriculum puts on us.

This last point is something that I think might be labeled as an “issue” from outside the liberal arts community, but I believe that it is actually an advantage. I think it helps us reach a wider range of students than we would otherwise and to provide a richer educational experience.

- Amanda

Dr. Amanda M. Holland-Minkley

Associate Professor, Computing and Information Studies

Washington & Jefferson College