On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Amanda Holland-Minkley <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Since it sounds like one productive next step would be to brainstorm what
> some of the BoFs or sub-areas of interest would be, I thought I'd share the
> ones that I can think of that have come out of the conversations so far and
> Grant's survey:
>

> * Faculty hiring...
>

> * Enrollment pressures...
>

> * Communicating about CS in the liberal arts...
>

> * Curricular structures...
>

> * Curricular inclusion of soft skills and interdisciplinary connections...
>

> If you could use another person to help put together the special session
> proposal or coordinate it, I'm happy to help out. I'm also currently most
> personally engaged in the last of the four possible topics I listed above
> so if it seems like there is enough interest in the soft
> skills/interdisciplinary content piece for a BoF I'd be happy to put
> together a proposal and coordinate that.

These all sound like good possibilities for BoFs. I'll guess that
connecting yourself with a specific one in public has just earned you the
job of planning it, so if you'd like to start thinking about organizing one
on soft skills and interdisciplinarity, that would be great. Other folks
might, of course, volunteer to help, and you can certainly recruit helpers
if you want. BoF proposals are due Oct. 21, so there's still lots of time
for brainstorming.

Meanwhile, why don't I work up a special session proposal. I'll be on
vacation next week, but I think I can circulate a draft proposal early the
week after (i.e., a couple of days before they're due). I'm certainly
imagining having help moderating discussions and presenting parts of the
report, but exactly who the best people to do that would be might become
clearer as I write the proposal. I might take you up on your offer, Amanda,
and the draft might well circulate with questions of the form "would
so-and-so be willing to help with such-and-such" attached.

Thanks for the ideas.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=SIGCSE-LIBARTS-COMM&A=1