Hi, all,

I guess I'll jump in here, mostly with a question.

I think we already have a strong case for the need for a permanent
organization, and that case will likely be made stronger by the second,
larger survey that has been suggested.  In my opinion, this organization
would ideally serve two purposes: networking within the liberal arts
computing community, and providing leadership that could be our "voice" to
others (others = non-liberal-arts computing + non-computing liberal arts +
other others).  Perhaps thinking about our intended audience will help us
clarify our "voice."  I think it's natural that it would sometimes be
directed at the broader SIGCSE and ACM communities.  It would also be
useful for the new organization to put together cohesive information/data
about liberal arts computing that could be presented to college/university
administrators at our institutions to put what we do and what we need in
context when issues or opportunities arise.

So... in response to Doug's question: Why do we need a voice?  Because we
have unique qualities that sometimes need to be communicated to parties
outside the community.  Identifying those parties could go a long way
toward helping us think about what the "voice" should be saying and why.
Where/ to whom would it make sense to communicate our unique successes,
challenges, needs, goals, etc?

Angela

Angela Berardinelli, PhD
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics and Information Technology
Mercyhurst University
E-mail:       [log in to unmask]
Direct Line:  814-824-2421
Website:      math.mercyhurst.edu/~aberardine
Office:       Old Main Tower 403
Mail:         501 East 38th Street
              Erie, PA 16546