Exactly my feelings. Thanks, Chiara for your e-mail.

Sincerely,
--Cigdem

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:47 AM Chiara Petrioli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Honestly speaking I don't think we will obtain much even from the press conference they have organized.
As Tiziana says it will be institutional. Apart for the problem of institutionally covering also ACM (in the guidelines in preparation for the future I think we should state communication is  an important activity, ACM representatives should be informed of organization of press conference and an ACM designated representative should be present) I think this conference will translate into 'institutional coverage',in the newspapers, i.e. a few lines here and there before the event, which is of course important but it is different wrt implementing a long lasting comm strategy.

For this I think it will be important to have a press release of half a page maximum with ACM key messages and the other thing we may consider  doing is to send someone representing ACM. Unfortunately I will be in Houston. Maybe we could ask either Paola Inverardi or Enrico Nardelli as past ACM Europe Council elected members. Please let me know if it is a good idea. In case we should give a try to immediately reach out for one of them or if it is too late/would make explicit the fact we don't trust proper messages will be conveyed and thus we should not do at this stage (I can understand reasons in both directions so I would go with majority) the only thing I think we can try is to write for **Paola** few lines covering max 1 minute of her 5 on ACM-WE. Knowing Paola if we do for her she will read.

Said this an event like this one should from a communication perspective start a process that allows to follow up with different coverages. This goes into the direction of more general media strategy. It means engaging other types of journalists, engaging them through stories, e.g., of the female examples who are speakers for instance, covering some of these, have contacts with international media (at least ten key media across Europe), possibly in synergy with EC, promote stories of successful women over the year, exploiting ACM Womencourage but as an important milestone of our yearly activity in this direction. It is difficult to do it through volunteers **unless** we engage as volunteers some journalists.

I think we can discuss this in Rome.
Chiara

Il giorno lun 9 set 2019 alle ore 11:07 Cigdem Sengul <[log in to unmask]> ha scritto:
Hello,
I have removed Paola, Tiziana and Marco to reflect on Tiziana’s criticism.

I think it’s a just point. While we focus on communications mostly through our channels, we have not much talked about wider press coverage as ACM-We.

What is ACM’s general support for such activities? From finding outlets to helping to tune the message to media training? I believe Tiziana is pointing out the lack of this in her email. And we should think if there is anything we can do as ACM.

Thanks,
-Cigdem

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 09:21, Natasa Milic-Frayling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Tiziana,

I fully understand the situation. The issue is that this press event, even though local, refers to womENcourage explicitly and mentions the ‘three days of rich programme’ for women, etc. So, by its nature immediately implies ACM and ACM-WE even though the local politicians are not interested in referring to it and want to drive their agenda. (Well, we received very generous local support and this is now the pay back).

This is not the first time that the women activities and issues are ‘hijacked’ for political purposes. Everyone wants women votes (yes, now that we can vote it is 100% more votes to get J).

I would suggest to get in touch with the ‘moderator’/coordinator of the press conference (if there is one) tomorrow morning before the event and tell them what you and Paola want to talk about. If they start with the negative position (as stated in the brief), I would not go straight into arguing against it but gradually bring a number of points (well, in the document there are 7. I am sure you will be able to offer more J) that dissolve that position as simplistic, imprecise, etc. without even arguing.

If you allow me, I would share one piece of wisdom when it comes to press (I learnt it and practiced in the past). No matter what the question is and how provoking, wrong or tricky it may be, it can be ignored politely by saying,  ‘this is an interesting point. But let me tell you …” Then you simply talk about what you want to talk about J. Politicians do that all the time - just watch them.

So,  you and Paola can turn things around and talk about all the positive things that you have done as part of ACM womENcourage organization and the exciting interdisciplinary research that attracts women, featuring local research leaders (e.g., Chiara). It would be great to mention inviting girls to the  hackathon to inspire them and create a pipeline of talent that is interested in computing. And, of course, Sapienza is a centre of excellence with many women serving as role models, including yourself, Paola, and Chiara. So, there is plenty of great stuff to talk about.

The fact is that we are all part of the gradual process of women engagement with ICT and in general with professional choices. If politicians want to argue that they will improve conditions to get women into the ICT workforce faster (despite our ‘resistance’ to it, as they claim) and get those EUR 9B economic growth, let them promise that. I expect, that is what they want to achieve with this event.

All the best,

Natasa

Prof Natasa Milic-Frayling – Chair, ACM-WE mobile: +44 787 0566 404 – email: [log in to unmask] – skype: natasa-milic-frayling