From: Cigdem Sengul <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 16:24
To: Araz Yusubov <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Natasa Milic-Frayling <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; Alexandra Dediu <[log in to unmask]>; Bedour Alshaigy <[log in to unmask]>; Vafa Kazdal <[log in to unmask]>; Kamilla Zeynalova <[log in to unmask]>; Shafag Mehraliyeva <[log in to unmask]>; Azerbaijan ACM Chapter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [20=20] Re: womENcourage 2020 announcement and publicity coordination

Hello all,
Very happy to meet you by e-mail, and hoping to talk to you soon.

Araz I started drafting a paragraph based on the information you provided:

"We are happy to announce 7th womENcourage, womENcourage 2020, will be in Baku, Azerbaijan.

The conference theme this year is "(Needs to be filled in)”.

Azerbaijan keeps alive the tradition of the first democratic republic (1918) in the Muslim East, where women were granted the right to vote in 1919, before many Western democracies.

Baku, Azerbaijan has been a popular destination for many international events from Eurovision 2012 to European Games in 2015. It was also the home of the 31st International Olympiad (www.ioi2019.az) in Informatics in August 2019.

Our host will be the ADA University,  a young progressive university that hosted a local annual Ada's Legacy event since 2016.  "

Could you let me know what the conference theme is this year?

Also, could I get some more information about people in the organising committee and their roles, so that I can introduce them?

I do not think we need a lot of details. But, let me know if you have other things you would like us to mention.

I am looking forward to receiving your responses.

Sincerely,

--Cigdem Sengul, PhD

Senior Researcher Nominet

ACM-WE Communications and Outreach Chair

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:22 PM Araz Yusubov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Cigdem,

Thanks for the follow up. I am adding Ms Kamilla Zeynalova (Manager for Marketing and Communications at ADA University), Ms Shafag Mehraliyeva (a fellow faculty member and living legend of Azerbaijani journalism) and Dr Vafa Kazdal (my Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, prominent educator in Azerbaijan). We will need to agree time when all colleagues are available.

As for the first announcement, I guess this can highlight few things:
  • Azerbaijan, Baku has been a popular destination for many international events i.e. Eurovision 2012, European Games 2015, etc. The 31st International Olympiad (www.ioi2019.az) in Informatics very recently i.e. in August 2019.
  • ADA University is a young progressive university that hosted a local annual Ada's Legacy event since 2016.
  • Azerbaijan keeps alive the tradition of the first democratic republic (1918) in the Muslim East, where women were granted the right to vote before many Western democracies
We can draft a text together.

Many thanks,
Araz