TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology)
TU Graz (Graz University of Technology), and
JKU Linz (Johannes Kepler University),
are seeking highly qualified PhD candidates for the joint doctoral program on Logical Methods in Computer Science (LogiCS),
funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
We are recruiting up to 12 fully funded doctoral candidates for a starting period of 3 years.
STARTING DATE: Negotiable
LOCATION: Vienna or Graz, Austria (candidate´s choice)
SALARY: The PhD candidates receive an employment contract
DEADLINE: June 12, 2020
The PhD program focuses on interdisciplinary research topics covering
– computational logic, and applications of logic to
– databases and artificial intelligence,
– computer-aided verification,
– security and privacy,
– cyber-physical systems, as well as to
– distributed systems.
At the moment we are particularly looking for PhD candidates interested in the following areas:
* Automated Software Verification
* Description Logics
* Epistemic logic in distributed computing
* Game-based Semantics
* Fixed-Parameter Algorithms and Complexity
* Formal Verification of hybrid systems
* Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
* Model Checking
* Modeling and analysis of digital integrated circuits
* Networking and Communication Technology
* Normative Reasoning
* Ontology-based Data Access
* Security and Privacy
* Scheduling and logic programming
* Study of the Interaction between rules from a knowledge base and rules arising from machine learning
* Topology in distributed computing
* Quantified Boolean Formulas
Our PhD program LogiCS is focusing on logic and its applications in computer science. Successful applicants will work with and be mentored by leading researchers in the fields of computational logic, databases and knowledge representation, computer-aided verification, security and privacy, cyber-physical systems, and distributed systems.
The LogiCS doctoral program offers top research expertise, and a stimulating and supportive environment. The LogiCS is coordinated by TU Wien, which offers an outstanding research environment and numerous professional development opportunities. The Faculty of Informatics of TU Wien is the largest one in Austria and is consistently ranked among the best in Europe. The founding body of the LogiCS, the Austrian Science Fund (FWF), offers multiple funding opportunities for young researchers to advance their independent scientific careers.
- E. Bartocci
- A. Biere
- R. Bloem
- A. Ciabattoni
- T. Eiter
- G. Gottlob
- R. Grosu
- L. Kovacs
- M. Maffei
- M. Ortiz
- U. Schmid
- M. Seidl
- S. Szeider
- G. Weissenbacher
- S. Woltran
The LogiCS faculty comprises 15 renowned researchers with strong records in research, teaching and advising, complemented by 15 associated members who further strengthen the research and teaching activities of the college.
POSITIONS AND FUNDING
* We are looking for 12 very strong doctoral students.
* The doctoral positions are funded for at least 3 years according to the funding scheme of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) (EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT)
* The location of the research post is Vienna or Graz, Austria.
HOW TO APPLY
Detailed information about the application process is available on the LogiCS web-page: https://logic-cs.at/phd/admission/
* The applicants are expected to have completed an excellent diploma or master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field.
* Candidates with comparable achievements will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
* Applications by the candidates need to be submitted electronically.
Application Deadline: June 12, 2020
LOGIC IN AUSTRIA
Austria has a highly active and successful logic in the computer science community. Recent activities include:
Austrian Research Network in Rigorous Systems Engineering - http://www.arise.or.at
Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms - http://www.vcla.at
International Kurt Goedel Society - http://www.kgs.logic.at
HIGHEST QUALITY OF LIFE
The Austrian cities Vienna, Graz, and Linz, located close to the Alps and surrounded by beautiful nature, provide an exceptionally high quality of life, with a vibrant cultural scene, numerous cultural events, world-famous historical sites, a large international community, a varied cuisine and famous coffee houses.
If you decide to be located in Vienna, the city features a vibrant and excellence-driven research landscape, with several leading research institutes (e.g., University of Vienna, IST, AIT, SBA) and universities continuously establishing collaborations in various fields. Finally, Vienna has been consistently ranked by Mercer over the last years the best city for quality of life worldwide.
LogiCS web-page: https://logic-cs.at/phd/admission/
For further information please contact: [log in to unmask]