At 12:07 PM -0400 8/20/97, W. Wesley Groleau x4923 wrote:
>> >  Ada .... says the programmers working
>> >  on the newer versions of the GPS software, originally written
>> >  in Ada, want to use C++.
>>
>> ----------------How can we help to disabuse them of this conceit?
>
>This merits a stronger word than conceit.  I _try_ to be polite to those
>that prefer C++ to Ada for new code, but to rewrite working widely-used
>Ada so that it's in C++ requires stupidity if not malice.

All too true -- we (and I use that term loosely to refer to management) are
actually re-implementing a system implemented and tested in Ada in C++.  To
add insult to injury, this is being done without any design enhancement --
it is almost a pure transcription of the Ada code to C++!

Michael Stark                                                   NASA/GSFC

Phone: (301) 286-5048                                   Code 551
Fax:    (301) 286-0245                                   Greenbelt, MD 20771
 e-mail: [log in to unmask]
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent
psychopath who knows where you live"   - John F. Woods