From:  Pascal Obry <[log in to unmask]>

> Mark Lundquist wrote:
> <<
>        This value of the Ada design has sometimes been mistakenly spoken
>        of as "portability".  From the implementor's point of view,
>        there is an appearance of "portability" because it is easier to
>        port the compiler to novel architectures.  It's really the
>        compiler that is made more "portable", not application code.
> >>

> Are you kidding or did I missed something ????
>
> Pascal.

The more degrees of freedom allowed by the language definition, the
easier it is to port implementations of the language system.  For
example, for an 18-bit target architecture you would most likely
implement an Ada Standard.Integer as an 18-bit wide type.  But you'd
have to implement 32-bit arithmetic on this machine to implement a Java
int.

--

Mark Lundquist
Senior Software Engineer