CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Susan Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:18:21 -0500
I love creating landing pages! In our attention-deficit culture,
they're the bomb.

My philosophy: Keep landing pages extremely simple - and ruthlessly
focused on whatever benefit or offer the user clicked to arrive there.
The user in the scenario is already in the marketing funnel - so give
them NO reason to jump out. Limit other navigation choices to some
very secondary "other options."

Also, it's vital to approach the landing page as the critical juncture
in the SEQUENCE. So the tease in a banner ad or email is also critical
to success.

Favorite examples:

* Netflix: http://www.netflix.com/Default (wisely, their home page IS
their primary landing page. Variants match specific offers.

* MyLife: http://www.mylife.com -- I'm very interested in the CHI-WEB
group's take on all they're doing to maintain the user's focus. They
really pull out all the stops, and it's bordering on, or going into,
overkill. What's your opinion on that?

==================

Logo Masthead/Branding

* Benefits statement
* Supporting info / list

[CALL TO ACTION (C2A)]

... other options.

==================

Mental model of the sequence:

* See the offer (banner ad, email, website/link in context).
[Visibility]

* Get intrigued enough to click. [Emotional+Mental = Compelling
promise of a benefit]

* Did I arrive where I intended to? Match the branding and message to
your ad/tease so this is instantly, intuitively processed.

* Is this for me? [benefit statement] What the user stands to gain,
specifically and compellingly stated.

* Terms of offer [price, date, restrictions, urgency] Straightforward,
factual, BRIEF. Only what's necessary. Rework complex offers until
they're essentialized.

* Am I sure? [overcome objections]

* YES [click]

* in case of NO, underneath/after the primary sequence, offer
something to keep the user in relationship. Examples: Learn more,
still not convinced? testimonials, case studies

I highly recommend Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational book ( http://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Irrational-Hidden-Forces-Decisions/dp/006135323X?&camp=212361&creative=383961&linkCode=waf&tag=qotu-20
  ) to better understand the user's head space and emotional landscape
when processing offers. (Note: That's an Amazon associates link, and
any earned fees will be used to buy more books for our coworking space).

Good luck!

Susan Price