CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Marty Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marty Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:34:56 -0500
At 11:15 PM 12/12/00, John Rhodes wrote:

>Direct, direct, direct. There is research for this
>but I can't find it. I know from experience that
>general links are miserable and users completely
>hate discovery. They hate it. Many of them have
>a clear understanding that a general URL is
>worthless and they know that once they reach
>the site, it will be painful to find the information.
>The net result is that your overall marketing plan
>(to get more traffic and to push discovery) will
>fail. Less people will visit overall, more people
>that do visit will fail, and the levels of general
>satisfaction will drop. The only counter point
>is that the URL will be longer. It is worth it.

Wow, glad I subscribe to this list because I never knew any of this.
However, given that visitors want immediate and direct links to what
interests them most, why not

1) feature such links as larger graphics where appropriate (esp. on the
home page which is typically the easiest entry point to site)

2) give the most popular pages short urls, either adjusting the hierarchy
on the server to reflect people desires and behaviors, or by some software
tool such as links on a Unix OS

Marty Landman
http://face2interface.com

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html