From:
Dave Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:33:47 -0700
I think this is in the top ten list of most frequently discussed topics
amongst HCI professionals (right up their with "what should our job titles
be" and "how do we quantify our value")...

An alternative to using placeholders such as "user", "actor", or "customer"
is to address them by name.  We use personas, much in the same manner
discussed by Cooper in _Inmates_, and these personas have names, faces and
goals. We try to use their proper names in our design and marketing
discussions.  So instead of asking "what would the first-time, casual
user/actor/visitor do?", we can ask "what would Fiona do?".

-Dave

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html